David-
  The feature you actually are looking for is going in to the SVN
soon, but has not made yet do to waiting for the XINE guys to make the
next stable release on their end. We need a feature from them, so that
the ivtv_sine plugins will be able to do the VCR style recording. Some
thing that may work for you is when you find a show you like go back
to the TV guide and tell it to record that show. IT will setup a the
record server to record a show that has already started it will pick
up the show with in about 15 -20 seconds and record till the end.

Evan