On Mon, 2011-07-18 at 14:42 +0100, Stephen Rowles wrote:
> On 17 July 2011 15:29, Tuomas Tonteri <t...@tuomastonteri.fi> wrote:
>         Hi,
>
>         I was wondering what is the place of Freevo 2.0 in the
>         landscape of
>         alternatives? What makes it unique from all the other HTPC
>         software?
>         There seems to be more competition here than there was five
>         years ago.
>
>         This from a very happy user of Freevo 1.X through its DirectFB
>         backend.
>         The best thing for me in Freevo (1) is the use of multiple
>         separate
>         programs, especially its use of mplayer.
>
> XBMC looks very flash, but configuring and actually using it is a pain
> IMO. It's very much style over substance. I tried it for a bit but got
> fed up and went back to Freevo. Yes they've made it look nice but
> don't appear to have sat down to make the day to day use smooth (or
> least not out of the box).

It seems that I'm not in the minority then (well not on this list
anyway :-) ). I though about switching but having played with it the UI
flow just doesn't work for me. I think my biggest dis-like was having to
go all the way back to the top of a directory listing just to go up one
directory level.

> It also doesn't have built in TV support which is the main thing I use
> Freevo 1.0 for.
>
> Without TV recording Freevo 2.0 is no use to me personally.
> Unforunately I don't know enough python/C or have enough hours in the
> day to offer help at the moment.

I've been having problems finding time to work on freevo recently, but
my intention has been to look at this side of freevo 2 and see if I
can't get it working with Freevo 1 initially, just to get the ball
rolling, and then think about Freevo 2 and TV,

Cheers

Adam