Hi Phil,
> But on systems, you say this research institute idea will let people
> become nearly clairvoyant about how people will behave.
Um, you suggested a research institute, not me.  I would see this kind
of project as largely modeling work to be done, with a strong focus on
skillful applied people and domain experts.

A strategic simulation system is pretty well understood cognitive tool,
but I admit I do imagine something bigger.

Indeed, an architecture that can be used to model populations on a
multitude of dimensions.  For use from everything from urban planning to
national security.   Full GIS, automatic parallelism, optional object
orientation, physics simulation features, clever constraint fitting and
optimization, etc.  Automated model validation with an expectation of
huge underlying compute power.   Not just numerically but also
semantically, building on projects like http://www.opencyc.com.

A while back DoD had a project called HLA (High Level Architecture) that
was along these lines but I think it never really went anywhere. My main
objection to that was that it was too concerned about federated
simulation, i.e. pulling in legacy simulation codes.

Also needed is a growing array of database resources;  Everything from
Lexus/Nexus to detailed map, scholarly works, census data, and whatever
else would be available to classified users -- all integrated by some
kind of unified query system.   A big workbench where analysts can work
efficiently to try to pin down algorithms for human behaviors and
institutions they see or read about.

Ideally there would be some open source core package developed  for the
public good that would seek to support many different kinds of users in
academia, business and government.   Perhaps that could be done at some
invented institute, but probably better to actually try to ensure it
gets done by hiring a credible contractor.  With that momentum to get
started, users could develop more open or proprietary modules and
databases to develop a rich ecology for modeling the human world.

Could such a thing make decision makers clairvoyant?  Of course not.
But it could pull everything together in one place and help the people
that support those decision makers look at a problem at a range of
scales, and consider alternatives systematically.

Marcus