I've probably tried any distro you could name that has an available English
locale.   I've been using linux for several years, and have been using it as
a desktop exclusively for about two years, though I have both Mac and Windows
at my house (Windows sees the light of day about once every three months).

I've settled on Arch linux after a long, very hard road of trying several
distros that were "almost right" but still had too many irritations for me to
continue using.  Arch is more in the Slackware and Gentoo camp than the
Ubuntu or Fedora camp.  I've discovered that I enjoy doing a certain amount
of stuff myself, though managing packages isn't one of them.  Arch features
what I believe is the best package manager available - pacman.  Arch is
a "bleeding edge" i686 optimized distro that features a "rolling release
system" which means you are always running the latest version, assuming you
are fully up to date.  It also negates the need to reinstall, well, *ever*
unless you blow up your box.  I've certainly had my ups and downs with it,
but after all's said and done, it's home.

I've also really, really been enjoying playing with a new distro called
Frugalware.  It's a very well put together mixture of Slackware and Arch that
has a surprising amount of polish for such a young and relatively small
distro.  It's a pleasure to use, and the devs are a pleasure to work with -
questions are answered quickly and with enthusiasm.  Many if not most of the
devs are not native English speakers, though, if that's an issue for anyone.
It's not for me, and I can't see why it would be.

Using linux as your primary, and basically only OS can certainly be a
challenge, but I'm fairly dedicated to not running software encumbered by
DRM, etc.  Sometimes it takes some digging to find software that replaces
what you're used to, but often I'm actually happier with the new software
I've replaced my old faves with.  On the other hand, sometimes devs change,
and a project you really loved becomes a nearly unusable mess - kaffeine is
this way for me.  A year ago I'd have told you it was hands down the finest
video player available.  Today, I can barely stand to use it - technically it
still great, but the UI has become seriously horrible.  Freedom in both its
senses is never the easiest road to follow, though, and tradeoffs are always
part of the game.  IMO it's worth the effort, though.