I started with SLS back in '93, my first real PC OS. OK I bought my
first PC (a 16MB 486) from a friend, and he put a bootleg version of
MSDOS on it, which I found to be pretty useless.

I migrated to Slackware around '95 or so, and have stayed with that
distro ever since. I've run it on the original 486 machine, and on its
replacement (a PIII Celeron) which is still running it today.

I got my first laptop (Compaq 486) in '96, and immediately installed
Slackware on it (took a while, as it had to be done via floppy
disks). At this time, I switched from twm to fvwm as my window manager
(and remained there). When that laptop finally bit the dust in 2003, I
bought a new NEC laptop (P4 Celeron) at the time, and installed
Slackware. Sound and graphics were supported natively by the distro,
the WinModem was supported via a (nonfree) open source driver from the
manufacturer. I missed the suspend to RAM feature of my old laptop,
but was able to get Linux hibernation to work after following the
relevant HOWTOs and patching the kernel. The only feature I was unable
to get working was S-video out - which might have been handy for
playing DVDs through a TV set. Buying a cheap DVD player solved that
problem.

Oh - and I couldn't play DVDs until I had first booted Windows,
inserted a DVD and set the region code. After that, DVD playing worked
like a charm.

Since early this year, my work bought be a Dell laptop. Again most
things just work, though again not video out. As I actually need to
use Windows (occasionally) for work, I actually run the Linux under
VMWare, so use Windows hibernation. Works quite well. The main defects
are (and these are VMWare defects):

1) The hotspot in the mouse cursor is in the wrong place.

2) The virtual hardware clock is incorrectly initialised. I need to
manually resync my clock to an ntp server everytime I wake up the
computer (which is easy to forget to do)

3) No sound! So I have to copy my multimedia files to the windows
partition, and use something like WMP

4) 3 button mouse emulation doesn't work under VMWare. Fortunately,
the Windows trackpad driver has a 3 button emulation mode.  5) I
usually run the network as a virtual NAT sharing the Windows IP
no. The negative of this is that many XWindows apps will not work
remotely (the ones that fail to tunnel through ssh). The alternative
is to bridge the network (give the Linux machine its own IP no.), but
this is less flexible in the networking environment I'm in. What I
should do is set up an IP tunnel on the Windows machine to allow the X
connections through.

Cheers

may safely ignore this attachment.

Mathematics