From: "Phil Henshaw" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "'The Friday Morning Applied Complexity Coffee Group'"
<friam@redfish.com>
Sent: Saturday, January 06, 2007 9:28 PM
Subject: Re: [FRIAM] observations of complex phenomena while in Mexico

I'll be glad to see what further patterns you find.  Just to clarify, my
suggestion was not just that the two colonies were different, but that
the variation in local colony behavior might be as great as the
variation in local environments where colonies are found.   If you were
to make observations randomly across the range of the species you'd get
a better sense of what behaviors are universal and what are local.  What
you'd want is a work-around, of course, that would be a little less
work. Perhaps you could try getting a list of bird watchers in the
frigatebird range and randomly calling them to see what they have to
say.

As to the generality of a "drafting principle", there is at least one
major example of  it I've given a good bit of study, the formation and
evolution of air currents.  If you want an example of the vast
creativity of local physical processes you might do well to give them a
little look.   Do all the modeling you like and none of it will produce
the degree of intricate and inventive complexity you find in the pathway
negotiations taking place around any even mildly warm body like, for
example, the one sitting in front of your computer screen right now!

Phil Henshaw                       ¸¸¸¸.·´ ¯ `·.¸¸¸¸
680 Ft. Washington Ave
NY NY 10040
tel: 212-795-4844
e-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]