Oh yes!  It's an important reservation that "they could very well not be
aware of the global pattern they are forming, just as in a much larger
flock, birds will [may] only be aware of their immediate neighbours."
In evo. bio. the phrase is that "A is random with respect to B".   It is
quite common for things produced by one mechanism are instrumental to
another mechanism which develops quite independently.  Most natural
systems develop from 'found objects', as it were.

Now it's possible in a case like this that the social behavior which
makes a bird discover the energy saving groove of 'V' formation flight
is partly evolved and recorded in their DNA.  Relying on that, though,
is like throwing darts at a black hole in my way of thinking, your dart
just disappears because it only identifies an assumption.  I don't see
how in this case, but sometimes you can identify a larger property, like
if you saw birds 'dropping in' on a forming 'V' rather than 'shaking
out' into the 'V' form.   Watching the details of how things happen is
often very helpful.

Phil Henshaw                       ¸¸¸¸.·´ ¯ `·.¸¸¸¸
680 Ft. Washington Ave
NY NY 10040
tel: 212-795-4844
e-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]