Phil,

Thanks for the follow up. As Dr. Lissaman says in a subsequent post,  that
clip by itself may say nothing, but it's only an indication of the type of
formations I was referring to, namely a complete vee formation without
flapping that I observed (while gliding, and in relatively stationery
positions - ie. not moving across the sky at high speed), but not shown in
that short video.  The "phase change" I referred to would have involved
several frigate birds in the formation like the two shown next to each other
in the video.

By the way, I would say that there may be forms of coupling that go on when
two lions on the savannah walk side-by-side. For example their gaits may be
synchronized or phase-locked.  It would be interesting to see what emergent
patterns might arise if you put one hundred globally coupled in that
fashion, side-by-side and set them all walking.

My thought on the leadership question is that the frigatebirds wouldn't
undergo a "phase change" unless there was some energy reduction benefit for
them to do so.  This would be an evolutionary development and in my mind
would apply across species.  But as you or someone pointed out, there are
ways to confirm that, as I certainly can't state that as a fact.  There may
be elements of leadership involved, but in my mind any emergent formations
are more likely to result from local physical rules, although I can imagine
some emergent patterns could arise from a combination of leadership and
local physical rules, and there probably are plenty of examples of that.

In terms of "physically feeling the vee formation effect", I would argue
that they can certainly feel the reduction in energy output required in the
most efficient positions, and perhaps are aware of the positions of other
birds in their field of view and perhaps have seen other Vees off in the
distance, but they end up in their formations because they learned,
originally by accident at some stage in their evolutionary development, that
there was smaller energy output in certain positions.  My point is they
could very well not be aware of the global pattern they are forming, just as
in a much larger flock, birds will only be aware of their immediate
neighbours.

>From my experience as a bicycle racer, it's obvious that cyclists can feel
the physiological benefits of certain formations, but in a large peloton,
the cyclists may easily not be aware of certain pattern formations, which
become observable only from the air and upon a closer analysis of their
global movements.

I agree that we are largely guessing when determining the underlying
mechanisms for certain behaviours, but if we can find similar behaviours
among different groups, and can identify mechanisms underlying one group,
then it is some evidence similar mechanisms apply to the other groups. Not
proof obviously, but it is *some* evidence, and it is certainly cause for
closer investigation for the curious minded.