Ann Racuya-Robbins wrote:
> Why does a law have to be simpler? What is simpler?
> This makes the problem seem like it is technical not ontological...i.e. what
> is need is greater computing power.
If one wants to think about how an organism works without
simplification, and be able to poke and prod at it, one way to go is to
try to capture the chemistry and physical dynamics of its cells, down to
its atoms and electrical fields in a simulation.  One would aim to avoid
proliferation of crude approximated submodels (platonic solids
describing cell types or organs or whatever), in favor of physics.  That
is, you go as down as far as you can using data and to specify
everything.   But doing this is not actually computationally feasible,
even if sufficient data were available, and that's not even close either.

Of course, even a well-informed physics model will still be an
approximation.  My point is that if one wants to capture an organism (or
even just a single cell), without compromising on the mathematical
formulation, and without throwing away details, it is off-the-charts
hard.  Maybe in ten or twenty years it will be possible to do one cell.
> I think there are many ways of grasping
> what happens in organisms beside computer simulation...compassion for
> example.
Compassion is also a simplification.   There's the animal, and then
there's the way you feel for the animal.   But the way you feel is not
the animal.  You have no way to know what the animal is actually feeling
except from what you can infer by interacting with it, or by scanning it
with a futuristic functional MRI.

Marcus