Marcus G. Daniels wrote:
> These inferences can only be made about the compared properties of the
> two things.

Not necessarily (though admittedly that's common).  What one _can_ do
and what we often used to do is study both the model and its referent by
doing similar experiments on both.  In the experiments, one does hone in
on an aspect of both the model and referent.  But, this is not the same
as simplification or compression.  Rather, it consists of _controlling_
the properties one wants fixed and allowing freedom to others.

Such is not a simplification but a constraining or controlling.

> In the case of life, "A law has to be simpler than what it explains."
> because the precise processes of living things living are too complex to
> directly grok (again, in full detail).  Minimally, living things involve
> billions of components that interact in non-linear ways.

Sure, what we denote a "law" must be simpler than what it explains
because the abstractions we denote by "law" are, by definition, simpler
in abstraction than they are when fully applied.  However, an "applied
law" is no simpler than the processes its supposed to explain.  Hence,
in _practice_, laws are no simpler than what they explain.  Only in
academe or in didactic abstraction are laws simpler than what they
explain.  This is especially true in the special sciences like biology
where heterogeneity is the rule.  Natural sciences are, and will forever
remain, dirty.

Don't take my statements as an indication that I think such abstractions
are not useful.  In fact, I'm all for making such
abstractions/compressions.  But the trick with any compression or
encoding is that the simpler the "law", the more complex the codec and
vice versa.  Simple codec means complex law.  Simple law means complex
codec.  And a law is totally useless without its codec, the body of
knowledge that allows one to encode into and decode out of the
compressed form.

The detail doesn't just go away.  It's moved around to suit any
particular purpose.  Hence, in essence, simplification and compression
are _not_ necessary for understanding.  What's necessary is some (any)
route by which we can observe and manipulate the system in a controlled
fashion and some _language_ in which to describe what we did so that
others may criticize us or repeat what we did.