Doug, Owen,

It's not one thread.  The subject headers just make it look that way;
actually there are several, all interleaved.  They all recently seem to
be about modeling in its various guises.   It's very easy to yield to
the temptation to get cosmic when you're talking about modeling, which
tends to pull all sorts of other issues into the mix and first thing ya
know people are discussing the nature of life and TOEs and stuff from
various philosophical perspectives.   That of course wakes up the Mad
Linker (a role, not any specific person), and then we stop knowing what
the question was anymore.

What you see here
Is not a haiku,
You have to ask the right question.

Maybe we could agree on a partition of the "modeling" subject, or at
least that one would help - i.e., the right questions.  And what are
those questions?

Maybe we could agree on some protocol, where some threads would be more
cosmic and some would talk about more specific questions.   Anybody
could violate the "minimal decency" rule, the "let's no get too strident
" rule or the "let's not get too cosmic" rule, or the "overuse of links
as arguments" rule etc., (make up your own) without penalty, but they'd
agree to say they were violating it and maybe why.

Fat Chance, but one can dream.

C.