Ah, Vaucanson's famous duck!  Thanks, Doug.

Reductionism has had its wonderful big wins, and may continue to have them. But much in the way of phenomena cannot be "reduced." These are the phenomena that complexity is taking a crack at. The sciences of complexity are barely a quarter-century old. Don't be impatient.

I am reading the new translation of "War and Peace" (highly recommended, though the 5.5 lb book decided me to wait until I could download it on my Kindle--but I digress). One of the fascinating things is to watch Tolstoy struggle with the causes of war--he knows those causes can't be reduced to the usual stuff of Napoleon challenged and the Russians got their back up. He shows why this is simply not so. But he lacks the tools to grapple with why wars do happen--he cites multiple events, multiple possibilities (insofar, he was well ahead of his time). But then as now, how do you connect those multiple events from one level of the system up to the next? He didn't have the concept of emergence (and we are describing phenomena with that term, not explaining them). But he has the intelligence to see that wars cannot be reduced to simple causes and effects.

Pamela

"People in general do not willingly read if they can have anything else to amuse them."

                                Dr. Samuel Johnson