Ah yes, I believe in scientific thinking as doing reduction the 'right way'
too, but not without checking.    That's then done by having a way to look
for how we're doing it the 'wrong way'.  If you don't have the latter the
former can be just self-fulfilling prophecy.

The basic dilemma is that our form of representation for nature captures so
very little of nature's diversity, order, features, dynamics and scales,
etc.  That has long been obvious, but we have also simply not been paying
much attention to solving it.   I think that 1996 Rosen essay makes the
point nicely, pointing to how science rules out studying the spectrum of
divergent processes by limiting itself to the mathematics of convergent
sequences.  http://www.synapse9.com/ref/Rosen_On_Limitations_of_Sci.pdf

Our tools clearly all greatly misrepresent our subject.   My trick for
correcting that may look like just a trick till you find it useful, but is
to use representations to point to the individual things we crafted them
from so you can see what they're supposed to represent.  Anybody have a
better idea?

Phil