Orlando Here,

Sorry, I may have missed this in another email...also please excuse my ignorance. But could someone please explain in some detail Descarte's reductionist duck postulate. Where would I find it in the writings of Descarte? Thanks much.

Douglas Roberts wrote:

Günther,

One of the foremost historical reductionists (Descarte) twice demonstrated blind egotism in his "Reductionist Duck" postulate, as follows:

1) that reductionism did not apply to humans, and
2) that when applied to non-humans, the non-human could be reduced to an automata.

I'm not sure which I find most disappointing: the fact of the egoism amply demonstrated by this postulate, or the blind acceptance of it by so many other modern "reductionists".

I suppose I shouldn't be surprised, though. I mean after all, this is the same gene pool (evolved 360 years) that elected George W. Bush as our United States president.

Twice.

As to your question regarding a non-egoistic explanation: recognition of the fact that we simply do not yet understand enough about the complexities of organic intelligence to be making stupid, simplistic reductionist claims about its nature would be a good start...

Cheers,

--Doug

(BTW, why are so many Santa Feans sitting in front of their computers today, instead of being outside enjoying this glorious fall weather? I plan on immediately correcting this situation, myself.)