From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf
Of Steve Smith
Sent: Monday, September 08, 2008 11:17 AM
To: The Friday Morning Applied Complexity Coffee Group
Subject: Re: [FRIAM] Reductionism - was: Young but distant gallaxies

Ken -

Reductionism has its place in the analytical phase at equilibrium.  Analysis
is normally a study of integrable, often linear systems, but it can be
accomplished on non-linear, feed-forward systems as well.

Well said...

The synthesis phase puts information re: complex behavior and emergence back
into the integrated mix and may be "analyzed" in non-linear, recurrent
networks.

It is the synthesis/analysis duality that always (often) gets lost in
arguments about Reductionism.  There are very many useful things (e.g.
linear and near-equilibrium systems) to be studied analytically, but there
are many *more* interesting and often useful things (non linear,
far-from-equilibrium, complex systems with emergent behaviour) which also
beg for synthesis.

This is actually a probabilistic inversion of analysis as described in
Inverse Theory.

I'll have to look this up.

Bayesian refinement cycles (forward <-> inverse) are applied to new
information as one progresses through the DANSR cycle. This refines the
effect of new information on prior information - which I hope folks see is
not simply additive - and which may be entirely disruptive (see evolution of
science itself) .

Do find this applies as well in non-probabalistic models?

The fact this seems to work for complex systems is philosophically
uninteresting, and may ignored - so the discussion can continue.

"seems to work" sends up red flags, as does "philosophically uninteresting".
I could use some refinement on what you mean here.

Final point: Descartes ultimately rejected the concept of zero because of
historical religious orthodoxy - so he personally never applied it to the
continuum extension of negative numbers. All his original Cartesian
coordinates started with 1 on a finite bottom, left-hand boundary -
according to Zero, The Biography of a Dangerous Idea, by Charles Seife.

And didn't Shakespeare dramatize this in his famous work "Much Ado about
Nothing"?  (bad literary pun, sorry).

  _____