Ken,

Phil,

I disagree re: ignoring the complexities of the system.  All extant
complexities are manifest in synthesis and appear in realization.

[ph] what, you hypothesize that because nature somehow takes care of every
individual thing by her exceedingly complicated and unobserved way, that
somehow any impression we have will incorporate everything about it?    I
some how sense a little 'reaching' in that..

Consider what actual complexities are manifest in a closed system at
absolute zero or Bose-Einstein Condensate state.

 The only energy left is potential energy in the mass.  I don't know what
happens to the binding energy - gluons - but there is nothing that could
perturb the particles out of their state, or am I wrong?  So the energy left
at thermodynamic equilibrium seems to be that of the residual strong force,
which would look a lot like either gravity, or "closeness by habitually
being close"

[ph] well, simpler case, what about what's going on in the back of your own
fridge?   What perturbs it 'out of state' always seems to be a surprise at
the time when I discover it, and it's not from my not knowing the formula.

In either case - modeled as an LPS (large Poincare system) wouldn't the
mesoscopic resonance (heat & motion - zitterbegwegung) approach zero except
for possibly the gluon resonance - and maybe even that, too?

[ph] If you're imagining that theories are their own environments, so they
fit perfectly in their worlds and never develop interactions that alter
their own design in fundamental ways bye themselves, then you have a
self-consistent model.   Environments aren't self-consistent though.   They
overflow with processes that reinvent the discards of one thing into key
ingredients for others.   What the math says about that is hard to tease out
of it, as Robert Rosen who spent much of his effort attempting to do that
found out.   The trick is math has no environment, so it's hard to make it
say anything about what happens in environments.   I made a nice clean
revision of my attempt to do so, restating my principle of continuity &
divergence, nick naming it a theory of "little bangs".
http://www.synapse9.com/drafts/ContPrinciple08_09.09.pdf

The simplicity of the solutions to complex problems is that it is an
ensemble - a bundle of entangled solution trajectories.  It doesn't matter
which particular path it takes, so long as it resolves. This holds for
n-body problems or shocking a heartbeat back into a sinus pattern.  They are
not solved analytically, one problem at a time - they are solved all at
once.

[ph] Yes, So long as the whole problem is inside the formula then there's no
problem.   As soon as you put a formula inside an environment, though,
there's a curious formal gap of disconnection all around it, it seems to me.

phil

Ken

  _____