While I don't think knowledge is necessarily neutral, I'm surprised that in this group of complexity folks, nothing has been said about nonlinearity. For example, the topic of atomic fission is certainly scary to us (as it should be, must be) but a lot of the world relies on it for energy. We in the U.S. have been in an enviable position of being able to buy other kinds of energy, but as a Japanese man once said to me, how lucky for you to have that luxury. This is not an invitation to talk about energy, but rather to say that predicting the uses of scientific discoveries--and therefore suppressing them-- is far from obvious.

PMcC