> On Sun, Oct 11, 2009 at 4:44 PM, Russ Abbott <russ.abb...@gmail.com>wrote:
>

> An interesting example to which this approach might be applied is an ideal
>> gas. Such a gas satisfies all the aggregativity conditions. Yet it has
>> properties (the gas laws) that the individual components lack.

I read this better the second time through.

The gas laws are pretty well explained by the kinetic theory - that the gas
is composed of atoms which have mass and velocity and the  atom kinetic
energies follow Boltzmann's distribution.

I suppose that one might call the Boltzmann distribution an emergent, but
once one has any collection of individuals which have individual properties,
one gets a distribution that describes the property in the collection, so
it's a pretty low surprise emergent.

Now, there was an interesting paper in arxiv.org about systematic coarse
graining of molecular dynamics simulations to compute non-equilibrium
thermodynamic properties, http://arxiv.org/abs/0910.1467, which had some
bearing on this,

-- rec --