Its quite easy to hack an iPhone for tmobile.  Check this site:
  http://www.iclarified.com/tutorials/iphone/index.php
.. under Unlock. Pwnage Tool is the most popular. I use it on my 2G iPhone.

I use a standard digital plan, but its ancient and been grandfathered at least twice. Verizon is CDMA not GSM. I think prepaid plans do not include data services, just voice. That hopefully may have changed.

    -- Owen