From: Owen Densmore <o...@backspaces.net>
To: The Friday Morning Applied Complexity Coffee Group <friam@redfish.com>
Sent: Sun, Jan 17, 2010 5:12 pm
Subject: Re: [FRIAM] iPhone on T-Mobile ?

On Jan 17, 2010, at 3:39 PM, Steve Smith wrote:

> Thanks for the feedback.
>
> <snip>
> T-mobile:  I can't quite remember why I got fed up with T-mobile 5 > years
> ago, but I am a little leery about going into another contract > until I've
> got a better feel for what I'd be getting from them.   > Anyone (even
> non-iPhone) customers in the Santa Fe area who can > endorse (or trash) them?

I've had great service with them for > 10 years.

When I started traveling to europe quite a bit, they helped a lot, both here
(explaining that I needed both an unlocked handset and international roaming),
and in europe (explaining on their 611 world-wide service number how to change
to the euro frequency for Dede's phone).

They also gave me an unlock code before they generally do .. I think they
unlock their subsidized phones at 11 months into the 2 year contract, they did
mine much earlier for a trip that needed it.

They also give you a new deal on a phone after 9 months, I think it is.  They
give you a new subscriber price, altho extend the contract for two years.  This
sounds odd to want, but for example, I can get a new cheap phone to lend to
family or take to europe (we generally have one phone on a local pre-paid SIM
and one on the home SIM and use international roaming.)  It also lets me decide
on a GPhone if I want one and they have a good price.

Local expertise is important.  The guys at the tmobile store at Rodeo and
Cerillos .. next to Blue Corn .. beer & phones, great combo! .. are *very*
expert, and quite helpful.

I compare this to a 14-day trial with ATT when the iPhone first came out.
Exactly the opposite experience.  Local folks not smart enough to answer
questions.  No unlock for europe, and clueless about european use.  Poor
reception where I hang out.  European roaming 50% more expensive.  I returned
the iPhone for the 10% restock fee.  That was back when you could go to the
Apple Store in Abq and buy it w/o ATT contract.  Don't know how to get the
iPhone now w/o ATT.

No provider is really great, but tmobile has been way ahead of whoever is
second.

All this said, the GPhone direction may make a lot of this moot.  You can buy
your phone from Google (at a price) and independently choose your provider.

   -- Owen