Thanks for the feedback.

ATT cell-tower handoffs: My big beef with ATT is that I get dropped at every cell-tower handoff I encounter. In particular, at Jacona, at the top of Santa Fe hill, and then somewhere near San Felipe (which is fine since San Felipe Dip drops me 90% of the time anyway). I'm not completely sure I can blame this on ATT, perhaps the iPhone GSM Radio/Antenna is lame enough that ATT just can't keep the faith through these transitions. Maybe Owen has some experience on how well his iPhone handles tower handoffs?

Google Android: I know Guerin has an Android... I will talk to him about his experience. Right now, getting the Nexus One is either a $600 buy or a 2 year commitment with T-mobile. I can't imagine switching my wife (a 30 year apple veteran) to a new platform. It is convenient to use a "family plan"... my ATT plan is about $120 for both of us with more minutes than we ever use and unlimited data. Looks like T-mobile has a $59.99 single plan with 500 minutes and unlimited data. Maybe a wash for me.

Evil Empires: As for Glen's Heirarchy of Evil Empires, I have to agree that Steve Jobs is in the same hierarchy as Bill Gates, but I'm not sure the Google Boys won't be top-dog in that hierarchy "real soon now". Google is acting a lot like both Apple and Sun did back in their early days... doing lots of innovative projects... but we all know where Sun and Apple ended up (sorry Owen, but you probably know more of the inside dirt on these transitions than any of us). Does anyone remember the GoogleZon mocumentary conspiracy-spoof video that came out maybe 5 years ago?
   http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EPIC_2014

T-mobile: I can't quite remember why I got fed up with T-mobile 5 years ago, but I am a little leery about going into another contract until I've got a better feel for what I'd be getting from them. Anyone (even non-iPhone) customers in the Santa Fe area who can endorse (or trash) them?
The rumor mill sez that there will be a Verizon iPhone by the end of this year. However, it will have been built for Verizon's network and will be slightly smaller (at least that's what the spy photos show.) I plan on switching to an Android phone on Verizon when my AT&T contract ends in August. Verizon's 3G does seem slower but I am beyond weary of AT&T's crap coverage.
I'm not interested in a new iPhone specific to CDMA at this point, so unless Verizon had a secret plan to add GSM services to their CDMA systems, I don't think I can depend on them. I'd probably buy a Nexus 1 for T-mobile before a new iPhone (mainly cuz I like the one I have, excepting ATT's "crap coverage/service").

- Steve