On Feb 10, 2010, at 9:00 AM, Robert Holmes wrote:

So Google continue in their quest to take over the multiverse. Anyone tried Buzz, their Facebook & Twitter replacement?

I wish I could make sense out of the Google Ecology. I certainly have tried! It seems a hodgepodge of everything, with very little distinction amongst the parts.

Just one example is that they do not have a single-sign-in. You often can use your gmail account, which I don't want but have to have, but other of the services have not yet integrated into the Blob.

They seem great for developers: Google App Engine and all that. Yet they do seem to go hot/cold on their support on GAE for their core languages. They started out with a Django (python) template engine. Then they added Java. But not Javascript, other than via Rhino, the Java implementation and part of the current Java release.

The API to their Calendar service is a nightmare (we're trying to integrate it into the new sfx website) .. they decided to not do their own but simply use part of the Zend (php) core which is a huge mess. Why? Php is not one of their languages (Java, C/C++, Javascript, Python). I like their not using PHP but they could easily have provided a simple REST solution. They didn't (and no, I don't mean iFrames, I want the data. Heck, JSON would be fine.)

Then the Wave hit. Isn't it Buzzy? How's it differ from other offerings. Are their APIs so developers can hot rod it? Hows it fit into the rest of their stuff.

And there already is Google Groups, a weird mashup of mail-list, with pages and media upload. But no really effective spam control. And they own Postini, for heaven sakes! Why don't they plug them together?

Then there's Domains and Google Apps. And no, that's not Docs, its an attempt to let businesses have traditional web hosting but with the advantages of the rest of the Blob .. er .. Ecology. Thus far non of us have figured out how to use it.

And android, WTF? Its a phone, no its a web-book, no its a real OS, no its for a future gawd-knows-what device like the iPad. I don't get it!

This mess should not be surprising. After all, they have only one product: advertising.

But, man, I'd like to have at least a HINT of where they're going. Are they simply interesting islands of capabilities, not meant to be integrated? Or is there an underlying plan of some sort? Or is it simply a shot gun beta machine with us being the dopes who separate out the good ideas from the bad!?

    -- Owen