On Feb 10, 2010, at 12:08 PM, Douglas Roberts wrote:

Disagree -- their (hugely successful) advertising platform is built upon and relies on their "architecture" to achieve the monstrous circulation it receives. The two aspects of their business plan are intertwined and cannot be separated if True Google Enlightenment is to be achieved.

OK, then lets take a poll of how folks use Google:

Search: Generally, although Yahoo has been giving me better results lately. GMail: I only use it as a login to the rest of google. Never as primary mail. Calendar: Yes, for everything and for integration with friends and sfcomplex
Maps: A lot
Earth: Only for a toy.
Desktop: Nope, crashes my system.
Chrome: No, not ready.
Google App Engine: Yes, like it even though its incomplete and likely to be ditched. Maps API: Yes, built a GAE app with redfish that was fun and interesting. Google Data API: Yup, Steve used it for tiny graphs in GAE app, its very cool.
Docs: No.  Read others and post stuff I make on my desktop.
Apps: Can't even figure out why they call it that (its business web hosting) and why its wonderful.
Groups: Yes, as the site for Thinking Mathematically seminar Nick built.
Code: Some, OK for repositories, but will likely move on to GIT.
Wave: Tried as part of Nick's seminar but it fell apart and is not used anymore.

That's enough for a start. How about the rest of us. As you can see, my use is pretty isolated rather than integrated.

   -- Owen