From: ERIC P. CHARLES
To: Nicholas Thompson
Cc: friam@redfish.com
Sent: 2/10/2010 1:01:04 PM
Subject: Re: [FRIAM] Buzz arrives

Nick,
You do know that actually is part of Google's official strategy right? They
issued a press release several years ago with some of the details:

http://www.google.com/technology/pigeonrank.html

Eric

On Wed, Feb 10, 2010 02:09 PM, "Nicholas Thompson" <nickthomp...@earthlink.net>
wrote:

Is it possible that the ecology is evolutionary ... just a bunch of pigeons
pounding away at keys.  And everytime anybody  outsides Googleinvents anew
app, Google just opens up a new room full of pigeons?

Nick

Nicholas S. Thompson
Emeritus Professor of Psychology and Ethology,
Clark University (nthomp...@clarku.edu)
http://www.cusf.org [City University of Santa Fe]

<friam@redfish.com>
> Date: 2/10/2010 11:55:03 AM
> Subject: Re: [FRIAM] Buzz arrives
>
> I am fully convinced that there is a method to their madness.   But I
> also believe that it would take an astute insider in Silicon Valley to
> fully suss out what that is.   I'm sure there will be a "tell
all" book
> about this Google Era.  My last visit to Google was about 4 years ago
> (early Google Earth) and they were (for better and
worse) *all over the
> place*.
>
> I too am frustrated that their "ecology" is so loosely
> defined/coordinated.   Things work way better than one might wish but
> they obviously are willing to leave a lot of ragged edges in favor of
> lots of new services/apps/ideas.
> >
> > They are going to continue down that very same road which has taken
> > them to all those multi billions of dollars which they keep stuffing
> > into their overflowing coffers.  Why kill the goose that keeps laying
> > all of those delicious golden eggs?
> >
> > And that is?  Can you describe "that very same road"?  I'm
serious.
> > As far as I can see its near-random.

Eric Charles

Professional Student and