Thus spake Steve Smith circa 10-02-10 10:54 AM:
>> And that is?  Can you describe "that very same road"?  I'm serious.
>> As far as I can see its near-random.

I thought we would have learned from biology that successful strategies
involve a large sampling of the possibilities.  So, it's not the
seemingly random sampling Google's doing that befuddles me.  That seems
totally rational, even if it is random.  What confuses me is why humans
insist that various processes (from biological pathways to organisms to
corporations) always must have some single teleologically constricted
purpose.  Why does everything always have to boil down to some
pigeon-holed agenda?  Why do we have to divine THE cause, THE goal, THE
motivation?  Why can't it be complex?

And I'm serious, here, too.  I can't tell you how often I get completely
baffled looks when I describe what Tempus Dictum does.  Those linear
thinkers who seem to dominate investment forums immediately write me off
and stress that if a business doesn't FOCUS, it will surely fail.  I
make some attempts to describe breadth-first search and the surprising
efficacy of large variance sampling; but I always fail in that
description. [grin]

--
glen e. p. ropella, 971-222-9095, http://agent-based-modeling.com