Thus spake Nicholas Thompson circa 10-02-10 11:29 AM:
> Because that's how evolution works?  Development constrains the exploration
> space of evolution, and evolution would not be so sucessful if it did not.
> Epigenesis, man.  Epigenesis.

I'm not so sure that's true.  It seems to my ignorant eye that evolution
is open ended.  I.e., while it's true that history applies pressure to
shape the space to be sampled, it's not true that a) the size of the
space decreases monotonically nor b) constraints need persist from one
instant to the next.  Any general cone of decreasing radius through time
is, I suspect, a figment of our imagination.

Rather, what happens is a high dimensional and very dynamic sequence of
soft constraints chunking forward in time like large set of interwoven
space-filling curves.  At any given point, the options available to the
process are constrained (softly, i.e. the process _might_ choose to
violate the constraint in very rare cases), but at the next point, the
constraints are (can be) very different.

In business, the symptom of applying this convenient fiction is that
entrepreneurs create some arbitrary, pull-it-out-of-the-air agenda,
plan, strategy, etc. and then when they actually start doing something
productive, that fiction is ignored or constantly rewritten to placate
the investors.  The worst part about it is that everyone _knows_ the
plan is mostly bullsh*t, overly concretized from a necessarily abstract
kernel.  But as long as the rhetoric appeals to a majority of people
involved, it's comforting I suppose.  Perhaps sociologically and
psychologically, the convenient fiction has some necessary effect on
those involved?  Perhaps everyone would get depressed and shoot
themselves in the head or watch TV all day eating oreos if there were no
"plan"?  I don't know.  Color me fuddled.

--
glen e. p. ropella, 971-222-9095, http://agent-based-modeling.com