This discussion is a wonderful example of what Doug is talking about.  Notice
how the more imponderable the situation is the more confident become our
opinions.   Think about the following conundrum.  Let's imagine -- for the
purposes of argument -- that health care is a genuine imponderable ... we NEVER
will have enough information, with enough precision, to know what we should do
about it.  Given that assumption, what behavior is proper?

It's like that old distinction between Dionysians and Apollonians.  We all know
that there are Dionysian Fools ... they are the people found dancing to their
ipods on the railroad tracks with the train bearing down on them.   But aren't
there also Apollonian Fools ... people who engage in carefully planning and
thoughtful argument about a situation what is too complex to make a decision
about?

Anyway, as a leader among Apollonian Fools and a Knee-Jerk Liberal, in the
bargain, allow me the following:  I shudder whenever anyone talks of a right to
healthcare, because it sounds so much like a Right to Health.   The chances
that I will die in the next 20 years are almost 1.00.  You do NOT want to get
into the business of guaranteeing my health.

Rights talk is madness.

nick

Nicholas S. Thompson
Emeritus Professor of Psychology and Ethology,
Clark University (nthomp...@clarku.edu)
http://www.cusf.org [City University of Santa Fe]