Nick, at the risk of being shot down by esteemed academics, but one with experience of both universal health care in the UK and the current system in the US for the past 29 yr....

   * Access to decent perhaps basic health care is a human right
     because we don't want to see suffering in our fellow man, woman or
     child.
   * It's immature, perhaps immoral to think otherwise.
   * Because making money off people so disadvantaged, not in a
     position to argue, perhaps not even conscious, is unconscionable
     (that's why its different from car insurance)

   * Our current plutocracy is based on '/Them as has the gold makes
     the rules/' and is a simple rule enjoyed by enough agents in the
     system that it is self perpetuating.  Having gold means they have
     the means to preserve the original rule.  A neat positive feedback
     system.
   * All positive feedback systems eventually max out somewhere and
     break or get reset.

   * I have a simple story.  When I was 10 in the UK, I tore open my
     arm and had to be taken to the hospital in a taxi to have 10
     stitches.  One of my concerns on the way, believe it or not, was:
     what was this going to cost my Dad.  'There, there don't worry you
     Dad won't have to pay anything.'  Sigh on my part.
   * I'm thinking that national consciousness here is still at the 10
     yr old level and has not yet matured enough to meet the larger
     social responsibilities.

   * The current health care system has unaligned goals: Making money
     is inconsistent with making or keeping people healthier.
   * Organizations with unaligned goals will never have a happy future.
   * I think it starts with good education that makes thinkers.  But
     the 'them' probably see that as threat at the ballot box so ...

Fire away anyway.

Thanks
Robert