In that first article:
http://www.usatoday.com/news/washington/2010-03-23-health-poll-favorable_N.htm

They emphasize the entitlement aspect of narcissism.  In the DSM-IV,
entitlement is only a minor diagnostic element, far superseded by
grandiosity, fantasies of success, specialness, lack of empathy, etc.

Below are the 6 questions from "The Mirror Effect" intended to estimate
a person's NPI:

5. A. The thought of ruling the world frightens the hell out of me.
B. If I ruled the world it would be a better place.

14. A. I insist upon getting the respect that is due me.
B. I usually get the respect that I deserve.

18. A. I just want to be reasonably happy.
B. I want to amount to something in the eyes of the world.

24. A. I expect a great deal from other people.
B. I like to do things for other people.

25. A. I will never be satisfied until I get all that I deserve.
B. I take my satisfactions as they come.

27. A. I have a strong will to power.
B. Power for its own sake doesn't interest me.

What intrigues me are the dichotomies set up by those questions.

Then, in a newer article from yesterday, they talk about the differences
between a poll conducted before the health care bill was passed and
after it was passed.

http://www.usatoday.com/news/washington/2010-03-23-health-poll-favorable_N.htm

"In the new USA TODAY survey and one taken a month ago, the biggest
shift toward support of the bill was among low-income Americans,
minorities and those under 40. That has created a yawning age divide: A
solid majority of seniors oppose the bill; a solid majority of those
younger than 40 favor it."

So, clearly there's some correlation between age and a positive view of
the bill.  Based on the (perhaps false) dichotomies of the above
questions, the question these two articles raise is whether the
correlation is caused by self-interest, perhaps a growing sense of
entitlement in younger people, or by altruism, perhaps a growing sense
of the commons.

I suppose I would tend to think we're looking at a duality.  The sense
of entitlement is, somehow, the same as the sense of the commons, the
obligation to share a social burden.

Again, this leads me to speculate that this increase in that particular
narcissistic trait (entitlement/commons) might be correlated with
hyper-connectivity.

--
glen e. p. ropella, 971-222-9095, http://agent-based-modeling.com