Just to follow up, after which I'll shut up about this, I presented my
speculation, mechanism, and hypothetical tests, yesterday at the Cascade
Systems Society and didn't get laughed out of the room.  [whew]  It
sparked a lot of controversy.  In particular, there were 3 people who
totally rejected the idea that entitlement is the dual of (a sense of)
collectivism.  And 2 people just kept hammering me on the fact that I
have no data. [grin]  Nobody seemed to pull out the "correlation is not
causation" widget.  Perhaps that's only useful once one has data.

Perhaps the most interesting outcome was the argument it sparked over
what we mean when we say words like "the commons", "collectivism",
"cooperation", and "altruism".

In any case, the moderator (Teresa) subsequently sent me the following
links, which I thought were interesting and relevant:

http://www.pbs.org/newshour/bb/social_issues/jan-june10/millenials_02-24.html
http://pewresearch.org/pubs/1501/%20millennials-new-survey-generational-personality-upbeat-open-new-ideas-technology-bound

--
glen e. p. ropella, 971-222-9095, http://agent-based-modeling.com