*Soooo* difficult to find only ten.  And I'm not sure what to do with the
"literature" requirement ... I like well-written stories that transcend
genre, but I wouldn't claim that is enough.  And while I would
recommend *everything
*from, say, Terry Pratchett or P.G. Wodehouse, I've tried to pick typical
examples for the uninitiated.  I've also tried for a broad, eclectic bunch.

In no particular order:

Candide; *Voltaire*
The Truth; *Pratchett (about writing, of course)*
Watership Down;* Adams*
Stiff Upper Lip, Jeeves; *Wodehouse ("I marmaladed a slice of toast with
something of a flourish...")*
The Bonfire of the Vanities; *Tom Wolfe (A bit dated, perhaps, but he does
really nail character.)*
You Can't Go Home Again; *the other Tom Wolfe*
Batman: Year One; *Miller*
At the Sign of the Naked Waiter; *Herrick*
The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon; *King*
A Wizard of Earthsea; *Le Guin*
The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time; *Haddon*

Yes, these go to eleven.  It's one louder.

-Ted

On Mon, Oct 11, 2010 at 5:04 AM, Owen Densmore <o...@backspaces.net> wrote:

> Being here in Italy, Umberto Eco's The Name of the Rose comes to mind. The
> translation is considered quite good, and it reads very well.
>
>   ---- Owen
>

> I am an iPad, resistance is futile!

Ted Carmichael, Ph.D.
Complex Systems Institute
Department of Software and Information Systems
College of Computing and Informatics
310-A Woodward Hall
UNC Charlotte
Charlotte, NC 28223