I think we are talking past each other.  By "mental space" I'm talking about
storage; you seem to be talking about processing.  Yes, the expert can
process faster, more efficiently.  But that is because more mental space has
been dedicated to storing specific patterns and their combinations, and more
time has been spent studying and integrating examples.  The expert chess
player certainly pays less attention to the pieces - but that is because she
has developed a larger amount of brain area for chess, and has more
processing architecture available for it.  So she can process the board much
faster.  The novice does not yet have this architecture in place, and so the
board's configuration is mostly a new experience, rather than a combination
of patterns he has largely seen before.

I do agree that the brain is not like a hard drive, so my analogy about
storage is only weakly connected to the idea of a hard drive.  And I agree
about the dynamic structure emerging over time, as more examples and
patterns are integrated, for more efficient processing.  I'm simply saying
that this specialization requires a larger chunk of dedicated brain-area
than what the non-expert has available for a particular domain.  It is
because the expert has this architecture in place that he/she can do more,
faster, with a new (related) example.

BTW - I wouldn't say the expert cannot explain why he has reached a certain
conclusion.  Largely speaking, she can.  A blind person can tell you exactly
what all the little raised dots and patterns mean.  I just mean that, as
expertise is built up, this process of articulation becomes unnecessary.
 And probably, in more complex domains, *some *subtle patterns are probably
integrated into the architecture without awareness of them.  In these cases,
it *would *be more difficult and more complex to articulate what has led to
the conclusion.  However, the broad strokes of analysis are almost certainly
readily available.

Cheers,

-Ted

--
Ted Carmichael, Ph.D.
Complex Systems Institute
Department of Software and Information Systems
College of Computing and Informatics
310-A Woodward Hall
UNC Charlotte
Charlotte, NC 28223