On Thu, Oct 14, 2010 at 11:19 AM, Pamela McCorduck <pam...@well.com> wrote:
[snip]

> 3. I have also read what Robert read about the vision system taking up 40%
> of our brain. (40%? 60%? a high very proportion). Small illustration: my
> cousin had surgery to correct a vision defect she'd had all her life (she
> was in her sixties). Though physically her vision in the corrected eye is
> perfect, she still has some trouble with that eye because the brain pathways
> have not yet adjusted to the new vision. It gets better, but very gradually.

I came across an anecdote once that is similar.  A woman hit her head when
she was very young and became blind.  When she was much older (in her 50's
or 60's, IIRC) she slipped and hit her head again and her vision was
restored.  But she preferred to continue most of the time with her eyes
closed.  Her brain was not accustomed to the new type of information flowing
in, and all the strange lights and colors tended to be very confusing, and
difficult to process.  As you said, her brain had not yet developed the
pathways for processing this information.

-Ted