1. Anyone who thinks that art of any kind makes you a better person had better explain why concentration camp commandants could listen to Bach at night--with great appreciation. (And, for all I know, read Goethe and Schiller). Furthermore, surely museum guards, exposed to art daily, must be among our better persons, right? Evidence?

No, literary art is the same: it is its own best excuse. To see how an author spins a tale, presents a character, reveals a landscape, or how a poet stops us short with a line that upends our thoughts, all these using only the medium of words, the stuff in our mouths every day, is simply to be made more sensitive to the act of observing. Good enough, as far as I'm concerned. If it also helps you to understand human nature a little better, in its contradictions and inexplicable impulses, so much the better.

2. "Compiled knowledge" was first noticed in expert chess players (so far as I know). They "chunked" knowledge that less experienced players had to put together slowly, piece by piece. I expect it is the same in go, the same in playing a violin, the same in medical diagnosis, in architecture. That's why it takes ten years to attain expertise in almost anything. That compiled knowledge cannot be made explicit is another question, and since I haven't thought about that issue for a while, I won't say. I *suspect* it can be made explicit with some effort.

3. I have also read what Robert read about the vision system taking up 40% of our brain. (40%? 60%? a high very proportion). Small illustration: my cousin had surgery to correct a vision defect she'd had all her life (she was in her sixties). Though physically her vision in the corrected eye is perfect, she still has some trouble with that eye because the brain pathways have not yet adjusted to the new vision. It gets better, but very gradually.