Steve, Peter, et al et cetera-
Art is a distillation.
Art is a concentrate.
Art helps us see the truth without the distractions.

Been writing my artist statement for a big museum show (a group of eight of us, I am not alone) next year, and am full of Thought on this topic. So take this as you please. I did not chime in to the fiction+expertise dialogues (and really both were heading to the same arena) despite these topics being right up my alley, due to work demands on my typing time. But I don't personally accept that a thoughtful person can truly justify a real difference between fiction and fact. I'll agree to a gray scale, but not black and white. We are all making this up as we go along, as our technology and equipment changes, our societies evolve, our neurophysiology morphs and adjusts. I am reminded of a Scientific American mention, in their 50+100 years ago from some time ago of an article around 1920 that stated that there was no need to study physics any further, that all that could be learned had been learned.
        We humans are particularly solipsistic if not very careful.
        And we can only generate fiction from what we call fact anyway.
How would we even notice if there were a black hole leaking completely unrelated and non-existent ideas into our literary/etc world? If it were to do so, if authors were to be tuning into it, we wouldn't comprehend them. Look how challenging even basic concepts are for us to all grasp and act upon: love, compassion, altruism, sustainability. Anyone think we could even perceive, let alone understand, something so alien that it was unconnected to our 'consensual reality'? Even the really weird creepy stuff is only so because it's a known contrast to what we have experienced.
        Okay. Enough.
        Good luck and god speed.
        :)
        Tory