Dear Eric and Nikita n all,

You join Robert in the desperate, altruistic attempt to save me from the clear
meaning of my own words.  There are two reasons to stop doing lame social
psychology studies and take up writing novels: (1) is the reason you give, and
which I endorsed in the sec group: social psychology dissertations are
piss-poor politics.  (2) is the one I am now am pressing and which I used to
raise, from time to time in the kitchen group, after listening to microgenetic
accounts of humans doing this or that.   The narrative description of the
behavior of a person doing this or that, thought to be of psychological
significance, is so close to fiction that I would expect that any argument
strong enough to justify it would be strong enough to justify fiction..  I may
be wrong, but I want to hear that discussion.  So far, the only reactions I
have gotten are horror and apathy.  I guess your last response is in the horror
category.

The one thing I cannot live with is the notion that there are varieties of
truth ... artistic truth, emotional truth, scientific truth, etc. Obscurantist
hogwash.  My VALUES tell me that there is but one Truth and different ways of
getting at it.   Changing a man's values is devilishly hard.  You can point out
to him that he plainly does not believe things that those values entail, and
see if he changes his beliefs or changes the values (in which case, they
probably weren't values in the first place.)  Or, you can demonstrate that a
proposition that he claims as a value conflicts logically with other
propositions for which he has made similar claims, (in which case he must give
up on some values, or give up on logic.  The Tea Party movement provides
wonderful examples of the latter defense)

Please do one of these two things and stop telling me I don't believe what I
say I believe,  without providing evidence.

All I am saying here is, If literature has a pair of binoculars through which
it can see things that science cannot see, science better get a grant from NSF
to buy the damned binoculars.  All of this seems to me perfectly standard New
Realism, although you know that stuff better than I do.  Intuitively, prior to
much reflection, I share the view sponsored by so many on this list that there
are truths in fiction not (yet) found in psychology, partly because our
professional ethics wont let us do the experiments that novelists every time
they sit down to write.  After all, most interesting statements about humans
are dispositional ... "A person will do X if you do Y to him."  This is exactly
the sort of situation that novels are made to explore.

Be careful here:  this started out as a quixotic little thought.  The more you
yell at me, the more I am inclined to believe  it.

All the best,

Nick

Nicholas S. Thompson
Clark University