Robert,

Thanks for offering me that escape route, but I cannot take it, because I
probably believe the IF-conditions.  You are right to sense that I need
rescuing, because if I am abandoned by Eric, I am truly abandoned.

I have to admit that what I laid out (below) are probably VALUES.  In other
words, I am more prepared to argue from them than I am to argue for them.

The basic idea is, though, that there aren’t kinds of truth; there is JUST
truth.   So if somebody asserts that literature is source of truth, then there
MUST (on my values) be a way for science to get at it.  But now I have to go
dandle.

Thanks Robert; thanks Eric.

Nick