I understand that a 50x to 200x microscope is sufficient for paramecium (and
other things) in pond/gutter watter.

The eyeclops claims up to 200x.. but handheld, it wouldn't be much good.
Anything in a stand, with up to 200x, would be sufficient.

I remember as a kid I had a simple 3 lens 'scope--I think it was 50/100/200
or something--we saw all kinds of things in the gutter water, etc.

~~J