From: friam-boun...@redfish.com [mailto:friam-boun...@redfish.com] On Behalf
Of lrudo...@meganet.net
Sent: December 4, 2010 6:25 PM
To: The Friday Morning Applied Complexity Coffee Group
Subject: [FRIAM] pond scum update

Here is a report from someone on another list to
which I forwarded Nick's original usb microscope
question; the list had been kicking it around for
a while, and this guy took action.

===begin===
<http://www.celestron.com/c3/product.php?ProdID=516>
These are pretty good photos!  How easy is it to follow moving
things
with that stage?

I don't know yet.  I'll file a report when I'm up and running.
My report:

I e-ordered some well slides and coverslips from:
<http://www.microscopeworld.com/>

I inserted a 4GB SDHC card into the LCD/Camera head
of the scope. That worked, and I'm using that mechanism
for file transfer.  The stills are JPEGs, the videos
are 3gp (whatever that is, but miraculously both my linux
boxes could display it, so kudos to Celestron for choosing
that format).

I went down to a pond in Tilden Park and collected
some samples.  Here are my first attempts at capturing images:
<http://www.panix.com/~bks/Pix/Micro/>

The two minute video is pretty cool for a first go.  I am
definitely a microscope tyro.  Some of the little guys are
zipping around too fast to follow, and most are too small
to make out much detail.  If you stick with it till the
end you'll see another large critter go zooming by.

The still pictures of pond scum thingees are not great but
for larger objects, like the prepared section of a stem of
a plant, they're pretty good.

The verniers on the stage are pretty good for such an
inexpensive instrument.  It sure beats using your fingers
to move the slide around.

More in the future.  Mostly this makes me want a better
setup.  But as that would be between 10x and 100x more
expensive, I'll wait.
===end===