Siddarth -

   http://www.guernicamag.com/blog/2652/noam_chomsky_my_reaction_to_os/

Noam Chomsky... I love that man's clarity and directness. I can only imagine the conversations in the White House whenever he speaks up...

   Bush/Cheney:  "Can't we just disappear him?  I *am* the decider, and
   that is what I decide!"
   Obama:  "Shit, he's right... shit...   did he really have to say
   that?  shit."
   Clinton/Clinton/Gore: "He's a really bright man, I wish he would
   just come over to our side!"

I've wondered for decades if a man like Chomsky could ever have a role in a US administration (aside from the inconvenient academic gadfly I presume most administrations dismiss him as).

Imagine what the US's posture in the world might look like if the sitting president always had someone as clear and direct as Noam Chomsky sitting next to her. Imagine if every evening they sat down to review the day's events and Noam did that quiet, level, clear, (almost?) non-blaming analysis of the (clearly intentional?) fuckups going on in our government *every day*!

I hope that after Obama is out of office that his memoirs will include what he was thinking every time Chomsky quietly pointed out his (and other's) glaring errors in action.

In reviewing his Wikipedia entry, I found reference to him being the 8th most cited author of all time and *most* cited living author. It does not bear directly onto the "Mapping Scientific Output" symposium tomorrow at the Hilton but onto a much larger domain of "Mapping the Contemporary Evolution of Human Knowledge" perhaps.

- Steve

PS. I'm sure there are those here who do not hold Chomsky in as high of esteem as I do (it started when I first studied his work in Linguistics), and while I'm not interested in the (usually right-wing?) ad hominem attacks I'm already too familiar with, I *would* appreciate any useful criticism of the man and his political opinions. He is one purveyor of "inconvenient truths" to a great many people.

epilogue :
http://www.guernicamag.com/blog/2652/noam_chomsky_my_reaction_to_os/

(- no fake quotes here!)

    The killing was easy , the understanding is difficult.

    It takes no great skill to kill, any brute can do it, it is a much
    greater challenge  to keep something alive.

    How do we model stupifaction of real people?

    Vladimyr Ivan Burachynsky PhD