Re: obligation: sure.  Get a background that provides you with a scientific
basis for understanding whatever particular aspect of science you find
especially fascinating at the moment, and I'm positive you will be able to
find an expert to explain it to you.

Myself; I would not, for example, ask a cosmologist to explain general or
special relativity to me in plain old American English (plus/minus
had-waving) with any expectation that the answer will be meaningful. Sure,
I'd probably get a limited, superficial understanding, but I don't have the
math background to completely understand a robust, full explanation of
either of those topic areas.  Baby talk is the only answer I would expect to
receive.  If I ever wanted more than that, I'd just have to prepare myself
by mastering the language of mathematics and physics in which a full answer
would, by necessity, be supplied.

That's my view of "the intellectual world".  Does your view of same lead you
to expect that one can obtain, or perhaps, even, is entitled to a full
understanding of complex scientific systems without having provided oneself
with a sufficiently rich, specialized scientific background?

--Doug