Actually, Steve, despite spending 40 years doing what it was I did, I never felt an expert. One of my criteria for expertise, which I felt I never met, was the capacity to explain a difficult subject to an attentive, well-educated lay person. And the emperor's new clothes has always been one of my guiding myths.

So, I confess, these guys bemuse me a bit. "Frustrate" is way too strong. There is no place that I can stand to expect /experts/ to answer lay questions about everyday phenonmena. However, for myself, I find curiosity intensely seductive, and, if I ever ran into somebody who was curious about what I did all those years, I would leap at the chance to explore it with them. So, I don't understand why another's curiosity doesn't delight them as much as it delights me. But, of course, that's stupid. People are just different.

Actually Nick, I think we *have* tapped your experience off and on here and it has been useful and informative if never (as it should be) conclusive.

I have a friend who's e-mail signature reads:

    "Life is flux, everything else is opinion".

I think this may sum up the discussion to date on this topic quite nicely!

- Steve