http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xkcd

On 7/5/11 6:49 PM, Steve Smith wrote:
Pamela!
Brilliant!!!!!!
Yes, xkcd is definitely brilliant.  And Doug, well, he does have a way.

FWIW, until I actually followed up and checked it out I *assumed* that the cartoonist was a *wicked-smart* young woman... there is something about the style of friendly but unreserved lampooning that seemed like only an outsider who understood things inside out could muster. I don't know why I thought *that* made the author female... somehow I just did. If my older daughter could draw, I'd suspect her of it... wait! xkcd *can't draw*! I'm calling her *right now!*

The the relatively few women on this list: I must honor all of you for putting up with our wide range of male-typical boorish habits. Some of us even know who we are. I only know of Tory, Pamela, Dede, and Peggy (as often enough posters to be memorable). I sure hope I haven't missed someone obvious in this list, which would surely be another boorish male habit.

As for physicists... I once imagined I was one... for a few years anyway, after picking up a BS in Math and Physics and then dragging myself through a half-dozen grad courses as well, what else does one need? If Computer Science and Engineering hadn't been blossoming and captured me in it's vortex, I suppose I would have at least hacked away as a third-rate physicist for part of my career. Several of my best friends are Physicists. Some of them are women.

I admit that there appears to be a bit of occupational hazard associated with being a physicist in thinking that if you don't know everything, you can figure it out, and if you can't figure it out and nobody is looking you can wing it! This was what drew me there in the first place. That or reading too much Science Fiction.

It also is what flung me off like mashed potatoes from spinning mixer blades! My first interview with Physicists involved a hazing that was beyond my range (and I have a wide range)... After accepting a different offer (in Computer Science) I heard that the Physicists who had hazed me and left me feeling... not incompetent, but... well... hazed... they had decided I was a stellar candidate (because I answered all their questions the best I could and never once let on that I'd rather be tossing them out their third story window? Or making up esoterically difficult questions from some obscure field to ask them?) I *wanted* that job so bad (control system for the Proton Storage Ring), but couldn't imagine working with those jerks... Their instinct may have been right... they may have saved me from a life in the wrong profession!

I fully appreciate (and occasionally attempt to live) both extremes... "figure every ffing thing out from first principles, even if it takes the rest of your life to do the most minute and trivial thing" VS "hack it together on a whim and see what it does!". I prefer the romantic image of the Natural Philosophers of the Age of Reason and Enlightenment over that of the modern day Physicist. Though Feynman did a pretty good job of making the modern physicist role an entertaining one as well, hitting on Peter's wife not withstanding.

In 1992 I bought a house that a Physicist started building in the late 1960's... it was impeccably designed (to his very strange tastes) and exquisitely built (with only the best materials and tools) virtually all by the hands of the Physicist in question. The house was essentially 50% complete when I bought it. The exterior was perfectly completed excepting that there were no front steps. The interior was entirely unfinished, bare studs and floor deck and not a single interior wall. Talk about a blank canvas! The 1960's hydronic heating system was big enough to heat an entire city block and he had a 7 zone hand made manifold bolted to it with an oversized pump dedicated to each zone. He had enough slant-fin radiator to line the entire exterior of the main floor (2600 sq feet) and the exposed exterior of the above-ground basement (1800 sq ft). He had boxed 1960's vintage fixtures with an inch of dust on them (Avocado Green, Harvest Gold, Powder Blue, etc.) including a Bidet.

There was NO end to his obsession with detail and care and thought and effort. I even inherited the 100lb jackhammer he used to carve the basement out of the Tuff himself! There was little if anything on that house I think he did not do with his own bare hands, with great thought and care, and more than a little insight. He *was* prone to overkill however, I could barely *lift* that jackhammer and I am not a small man.

I'm a whack job myself when it comes to projects but this totally blew me away. And he was so excited after 25 years to have someone else take on his project who might do it justice. It took me 6 months of dedicated effort (well, early mornings, evenings, weekends and liberal LANL vacation days) and some pro help (drywall, electric, plumbing) to make it liveable, 18 months to satisfy the bank to switch from construction to FHA mortgage and 7 years to call it "done". It still had an unfinished banco in front of the fireplace when I fled the property with recurring nightmares of asymptotes.

I can't be sure that this level of obsession and handling of detail is directly correlated with the profession but anecdotally it seems to be so. Physicists are amazing. But fortunately there are other species of human as well! And especially those very clever few such as xkcd "hisself".

I sometimes suspect the author of being a one-man FRIAM list:
http://blog.xkcd.com/2010/05/03/color-survey-results/

- Steve