Tory -

You are most welcome... Doug sums up what you said about our house
simply by referring to it as a "Hobbit House".   He (nor you for that
matter) never actually saw the house we lived in before, an eclectic
adobe built by an old hippy friend in the 60s while he was probably on
Acid or Peyote or Datura or maybe just bad black light posters. Hobbit
all the way.
Since you bring up Datura...yesterday I had the radio on,
heard Gene Autry singing "Back in the Saddle Again", and
was astounded to hear a line about cattle eating Jimson
weed (not followed by a line about them going crazy).
Do they really?
Anecdotally, yes.  Factually, I'm not sure?

Growing up amongst ranching folke, I heard tell of cattle (and horses) getting into "Loco Weed" aka Jimson, aka Datura. But I can't say that these references were not merely part of the larger mythos rather than any specific incident anyone had experienced.

Anybody else have more specific knowledge?

Like a tumbling tumble weed,
 - Steve