Yes, it does depend on how you define prime BUT speaking as a

*mathematician*

it is good to have definitions for which we get interesting theorems, like
the unique (prime) factorization theorem that says every natural number has
unique prime factors, so 6 has just 2 and 3, NOT 2 and 3 or 2 and 3 and 1.
So we don't want 1 as a prime or the theorem doesn't work.

*statistician*

do a Bing or Google search on prime number and see what frequency of
entries define 1 as prime (I didn't find any). So from an empirical point
of view usage says 1 is not prime

*artist*

try Bing of Google images and see how many pretty pictures show 1 as prime.
I didn't see any.

Cheers, Duncan

On Sat, Dec 10, 2011 at 5:19 PM, Pamela McCorduck <pam...@well.com> wrote:

> I asked the in-house mathematician about this. When he began, "Well, it
> depends on how you define 'prime' . . ." I knew it was an ambiguous case.
>
> PMcC
>

> On Dec 10, 2011, at 5:12 PM, Marcos wrote:
>
>  On Thu, Dec 8, 2011 at 2:17 AM, Russell Standish <r.stand...@unsw.edu.au>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Has one ever been prime? Never in my lifetime...
>>>

>> Primes start at 2 in my world.  There was mathematician doing a talk
>> once, and before he started talking, he checked his microphone:
>>
>> "Testing...., testing, 2, 3, 5, 7"
>>
>> That's how I remember.
>>
>> Mark

George Duncan
georgeduncanart.com
(505) 983-6895
Represented by ViVO Contemporary
725 Canyon Road
Santa Fe, NM 87501

Life must be understood backwards; but... it must be lived forward.
Soren Kierkegaard