On Sat, Dec 10, 2011 at 7:55 PM, Robert J. Cordingley
<rob...@cirrillian.com> wrote:
> Shouldn't theorems be independent of arbitrary decisions regarding what is
> or is not a prime number?  Otherwise I'll have to believe that
> mathematicians are just making up stuff.

Of course its all "made up".  What do you think an axiom is?

I'm being a bit cynical, but the various arbitrary starting points
from which all theorems derive are the end-products of a
millennia-long "natural selection" process.  Even the concept of
"number" could, in theory, be totally re-written, but at this point,
it would be mostly a pointless act of rebellion.

If you want a great read on the subject, see Gregory Chaitin.

mark