Abstract mathematicians are just making up stuff however they want. They are artists whose "clay" is (in the modern view) formal logic. The nature of their creation is its own reason for being. Abstract mathematics is not natural science, nor is it the province of natural scientists. If one of their creations happens to be analogical to physicists or anyone else, then so be it. "Analogy fit" is not the business of the abstract mathematicians. That's the whole beauty of the discipline.

To applied mathematicians the above is probably all wet. And physicists probably think that math is their invention and that physics is its justification.

But we don't care about that and just continue on our merry way of self-amusement.

Grant