This all reminds me of story my physics prof told us as an introduction to
rotating coordinate system. Basically, the British Navy thought they had the
cannonball problem solved. That is until they sailed south of the equator,
tried shooting, and quickly discovered they didn't really have the cannonball
problem solved. ;-)

Of course, that was several hundred years ago.

Rich