OK, what does it MEAN to you to have solved a problem in psychology?
Are there criteria you can state succinctly?
Where did those criteria come from?

If you really can't say, phlogiston will have to do. Folks were grappling with how to describe their inner experiences coherently, given all the other things they were thinking about. I'm not prepared to be snarky about how they were (or are) deluded, or ignorant, or dim.

All explanations worth their salt start out magical. Somebody, somewhere, somehow, perceives that the best data they can access or the best conversations they can find, don't make sense in some newly understood context, and makes a leap.