ERIC P. CHARLES wrote at 09/15/2012 07:51 AM:
> the next step in a discussion like this is for someone
> to ask you what evidence you have that any actual thing has more "actor
> status"
> than a thermostat.

My evidence is, like *all* evidence, subject to interpretation.  Unlike
most people, I don't believe there are such things as "facts". ;-)  With
that preamble, I'll set up my evidence.

There seem to be unpredictable processes.  Either they are actually
unpredictable, or we're just not smart enough to predict them. If the
former, we're talking Truth.  If the latter, we're talking practicality.
 Some of these systems are chaotic, some are stochastic.  Regardless,
they are unpredictable.

There are also some processes that are predictable.  We can infer "laws"
and then show that those systems (usually) follow them.

These laws allow compressed models (analogs[*]) of the referent system,
ways of describing those systems that are reasonably accurate.  I'll
call these systems "compressible" to indicate that there exists at least
one [+] _accurate_ (enough) description of them that's shorter than a
fully detailed description (i.e. the referent system itself).

Zombies and tools are compressible.  (You'll remember that I'm defining
"tool" as an artifact whose purpose has been inscribed/imputed by an
actor.)  Actors are _incompressible_ in the sense that you can't define
a short-cut law that accurately describes what how the system will evolve.

We can call the incompressible part "free will" or "general
intelligence" or "soul" or whatever we want to call it.  That doesn't
matter.  But what's important is that you cannot get high confidence
validation out of a model of such a system _unless_ you implement the
incompressible part in all its gory detail.  You have to execute it in
order to know what it's going to do.  (You might recognize this as the
halting problem.)

Now, what evidence do I have that incompressible systems exist?  Well,
there's plenty, from the radioactive decay of matter to meteorology.
Whether you'd accept any of this evidence depends, I'd say, on whether
you [dis]like my rhetoric.

[*] All models, in order to do their work, need implementations.  So I'm
not really talking about the laws, per se.  I'm talking about any
machines you might use to implement the laws.  E.g. not the equations,
the computer and program used to implement the equations.  E.g. not the
indefinite equations in pencil, the definite equations without variables
like "x" and "y" ... plus your fingers and such to push the pencil.

[+] To be more correct, I'd have to say that actors are composite and
have at least one component that is incompressible.  So, while the whole
actor may submit to a compression, at least part of her will not.

--
glen